Friday, July 22, 2011

The "Who" and not the "Do"

I love Dr. Seuss. All his funny little characters with special unique characteristics. Their hats, glasses, cars, bicycles, purses, and....shoes!! And, the land of Whoville! What a city to live in! With their special designed houses, to their trees (where dogs throw parties!). Seems very safe, happy and colorful. Where it seems that people know "who" they are and where they are going...even the dogs ;) (Go! Dogs! Go!)

The other day I was thinking about my "to do" lists and it was completely overshadowing the beauty of the day ahead. I found myself seeking to get things done, without thinking about the people I would be connecting with and the reason(s) why I was doing those things.

I was focusing on the "do" and NOT the "who." It's scary because I've been down this road before and discovered that I had lost my identity in the midst of everything.

With all the advanced technology that we have today, there is a term that floats around called "identity theft." I was one of those who thought that would never affect me. But more and more I understand how easily our 'identities' such as social security numbers, bank accounts, even just your name, can be abused and stolen from you.

It can happen to you as a person, as well...

Several years ago, I stepped down from a position in ministry. It was my choice, it was the perfect timing and everything seemed to slip into place peacefully. Within a few months, I found myself looking backwards. Wondering if I had made the right decision, feeling left out, confused and isolated....then started the digging. Soul digging.

It took weeks of silence, even from God, before I cried out to Him asking Him what was going on. He spoke so clearly to my heart that even if I didn't do one more thing for Him, I was just as valuable to Him. Didn't need to serve one more person, didn't need to bless someone every day, didn't even need pray...He loved every fiber of my being just for being ME.

And I realized, my identity had been stolen.

I've seen this happen when children leave home and parents are so busy providing for their children's lives, busy running in opposite directions that when the home is empty and silent...they don't even know each other anymore.

Identity Theft.

When the mother's focus is on raising the children, they leave home and mom looks in the mirror and doesn't even recognize herself.

Identity Theft.

People in a specific job or organization and their "titles" are what define who they. One day when that 'position' is over or it's time to retire...their "identity" is gone with it and they're left without knowing who they really are.

Identity Theft.

Sometimes things around us seem to function properly and we get lost in the process. They are not always bad things! But, there is balance. Please remember to keep God and your relationship with Him in the center of it all. Sometimes, God will prune those things out of our lives. Because He wants you...to be YOU. He wants you to know THIS DAY that you are so loved and so valuable. That it's not about what you DO, but about WHO you are.

In Acts 17 it talks about how the God who made the entire world and everything in it, made time and space so that we could seek after Him. Not just wander in the dark, but actually find Him. In the Message it says,

"He doesn't play hide-and-seek with us. He's not remote; he's near. We live and move, can't get away from Him."

If you are seeking, you will find Him. And, in finding Him, find your true and beautiful identity again.

Acts 17:28 - "In Him we live and move and have our BEING."

Enjoy 'being' you today...and focus on the who and not the do!

"God, I thank you for making us originals. I pray that we would be examples of what 100% living looks like and that, in that, we would be able to make an impact in the world...just by being who you created us to be. Help us to identify any areas in our lives that need pruning or tweaking so that we can blossom in the callings you have for our lives. And, we receive the freedom you have for us! In Jesus' name...Amen!"

You are loved!

Cynda


Play in the dirt....

What is your purpose in life?

What are your core values?

Are there some areas that need pruning in your life?

What steps can you take today to reclaim your identity and be who you are called to be?




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great word and shaking truth Cynda.

Cynda said...

Thank you! And, thanks for commenting :)